Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What we Learned Today

Every time we start out for Vandy I question the trip. Do we REALLY need to go and learn more stuff? I mean we are online all the time reading this stuff so why do we need to show up to learn it all over again? Then upon my arrival home I spend 30 solid minutes telling Geoff all the new stuff.

The first class was mainly about sick day care. I LOVED IT! The nurse that directed the class had been T1 since she was 11. The children picked up on that quickly and listened more intently than they would have done otherwise... so did the moms. Most of what was taught at that meeting was in my previous post. Today was about complications that might arise with prolonged highs and how to avoid them.

The nurse in charge today was another T1 (I'm sorry these lovely ladies have this but secretly I think they have it just so Mattie can get along better... sorry ladies :) I can't remember their names so I'm renaming them Nurse 1 and Nurse 2 in honor of the Cat in the Hat. Nurse 2 is older than Nurse 1. She was dxd at age 8 back in the 60s! Like Nurse 1 she is a beautiful woman in very good health, inspiring.

The first thing on the notepad says "#s on the frig". It was recommended that all important # are placed on the frig- Vandy, local Drs., school nurse (Ooo, ooo, that's me!) and pharmacy. Next is this ratio 90/10.

Of all the diabetics 90% are Type 2 and 10% are Type 1. When you see an info-mercial or commercial that says "diabetes" they are referring to T2.

The rest of the note pad is filled with dietary info: What fat and exercise do to bg; The type of foods we should ALL be eating and the ones to avoid; How to translate label % into grams.; And worst of all the terrible news that diet sodas remove calcium...

WHAT?... it's one thing to give the child info on what he is to eat but DON'T YOU MESS WITH MY DIET SUNKIST SISTER! I said you mean the diet stuff is weakening our bones? Yes.

Matt put his arm around me and lay his head on my shoulder. See I told you he was sensitive.

If Matt can do what he's doing then I can give up Sunkist.

Over all this was a very good class and I'm glad I went. I now have a better grasp of why foods we eat are not "good vs bad" but "better vs worse". And Yes, Virginia, there really is a magic food. It's called W A T E R.

Coolest diabetic thing today- fat is absorbed so slowly that several hrs after eating a high fat meal, even with the right carb/insulin ratio, it can look like the insulin did not work. That's why pizza can be a snafu.

Coolest non diabetic thing today- on the way home we passed the airport at the exact time a huge passenger jet was crossing over the highway. It was right in front of us. It was so low and close Matt said, "I can read the words!" As my brother would say we were EOR (end of runway)... WAY COOL!

No comments: