Monday, October 18, 2010

Today and Tomorrow

Up early making turkey bacon, scrambled eggs and toast. In total the carb count was 22 for Matt- he had 1 egg (1), 2 toasts (9), bacon (0) and milk (12). I DID NOT give him the Novolog because he had less than 25 grams of carbs. He was outside walking the dogs for 30 minutes after lunch. At 10 he checked bg and he was 130s! I was pleased with that. His Lantus and the exercise handled the lower carb breakfast well.

The bread we found at WalMart is "Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat w/Honey 45 Calories' & Delightful". It is very good considering we are not whole wheat people. For 2 slices it is only 9 carbs (14 - 5 fiber). We were told last week that if the fiber content was OVER 5 we could subtract the fiber from the carbs. Several cereals also have high fiber.

Tomorrow we will be at the Knoxville Zoo. It's our first all day trip since dx 7 weeks ago. I am nervous and the backpack is evident of this. There may be enough supplies in there to operate a T1 clinic!

On the advice of the people from the CWD forum (Children With Diabetes) I have added baby wipes to the pack. These are for hand washing. If you have a child with T1 or are a teen with T1 it is a good idea to check out the CWD forums.

What's in the pack:
syringes
insulin
Carb king book
alcohol swaps
bg tester
sugar tablets
glucogon
log book
lifesavers
3 extra juice boxes
5 lunchables
5 fiber bars
3 waters
bandaides
thermometer
chewable tylenol
advil
antiseptic cream
baby wipes
insurance card
ID and cash

It's a good thing Miss B hurt her knee and needs a wheel chair. I'll rent one tomorrow so she doesn't have to walk on it and she can hold the pack.

I have been taking pics and video. I WILL post some I promise!

On the down side I realized I had not taken my iron in more than 2 weeks.... oops. No wonder I am tired and snippy! My brain is just not wanting to cope with any more! Matt too is showing signs of mental fatigue. He has been very fussy, not like him at all, this week. He nearly cried in the store today. Of course it could have the addition of school today. No more fall break. Math was hard on both of us. We need a zoo trip! The plan is to laugh and sing and forget all about diabetes for as long as possible.

1 comment:

Dizzyhappymama said...

sounds like an EXCELLENT plan!