Friday, October 22, 2010

Job's friends

There are a lot of thing in life that make one scratch their head. Like why people drive in the passing lane or slow down to merge onto an interstate. Maybe it's why there are people who insist on complaining about everything, even the nice stuff that comes their way. Or maybe it's people who find it necesary to point out your errors. And those that feel you need their help.

All of these things can get under the skin. Right now, for me, it is the latter, the helpers.

I LOVE having help! Help with chores, help with shopping, help with school, all things that I'd rather not do. However there ate those things in my life that I really would not like help with. Most of these things are the "how" things.

For instance, HOW I shop. I really like how I go about shopping. It is very systematic. Allowing me to hit every needed isle just in case an item has been left off the list. Even HOW I school is off limits. It's taken me years to get comfortable with my method so please do not tell me I need to do it your way.

And that too has taken me years... the ability to say I am comfortable with my way.

For too long I have been intimidated by what other, respected friends, have said or done. I have allowed myself to be bullied without even myself or them knowing they were bullying. They would say how they did something different from me and I would quietly beat myself over the head for not doing it the "right" way. The last few years have changed that. It started with Dad's death and it is surfacing with diabetes.

Over the last 8 weeks I have been told of herbs I needed to purchase to stabilize blood sugar. I have been sneered at by what I thought was a good friend because she thinks our eating habits have caused the diabetes... and she has told others her "facts". I have been called an "uncaring" mother because I let Matt eat at Burger King. I have been told by another friend that since she was able to handle gestational diabetes that what Matt has "is doable". I even have friends offering to buy me books about type 2 diabetes so I will have a better grip on how to handle food choices so that Matt can "stop taking" insulin.

To all of you, thank you. I know that you mean well and that you love me. I am thrilled beyond words that you have a desire to help.... but please stop.

Friends listen. They do not sit in a circle when you are at your lowest and berate you for what they believe to be your fault. That is what Job's friends did.

Right now you must trust that Geoff and I know what we are doing. You must put your need behind my son's need. Let us move at our own pace. If we need to change something we will see the need and we will make the change.

Pray for us.

2 comments:

Dizzyhappymama said...

Hang in there dear aunt! first of all, that is exactly how I shop and I LOVE IT!! Second of all, I totally agree with finally being comfortable enough to tell people that you LIKE the way you are doing it. I have never understood why people judge others because they don't do things the same way. It is especially bad about parenting. As long as my kids are happy and I am trying to keep them healthy, then leave me ALONE!! You all are doing all you can for Matt. You are seeing the best doctors and learning as much as possible. Forget everyone else.

The Blandings said...

Thank you Sarah!

My fear is that I have kept it in so long I will yell at someone. This site is really a huge help in that way. It allows me to vent without actually slapping anyone :) No one that reads this blog is a potential slapee... maybe I should send them an email.