Saturday, October 16, 2010

Site change, honeymoon or just because....

...your guess is as good as mine, but Mattie's bg #s have been GREAT this week!

Insulin injection sites should be rotated between 4 "ideal" spots: the back of the arm, the thigh, the stomach, and the hip. Matt's preferred spot is his stomach (yeah, sounds creepy to me too but he likes it). The insulin needs to be injected into the fatty tissue.

Since dx Matt has been giving his own shots rotating from the left to the right side of his stomach, making sure to avoid the belly button area. On Sunday he asked me to give his shot in his arm and I did. Again after lunch he asked and I gave the injection in the opposite arm. That evening and night he gave his shots in his stomach. All day Sunday his bg numbers were close to 100! A light went on for me. On Monday I asked if I could give his insulin in his arm and again his numbers all day were great.

Tuesday at Vandy's class I asked about changing injection sites. More specifically would doing so make such a difference. The nurse said yes!

When we were told to change sites we all thought they meant change from one side of the body to the other not from one body part to the other. However, It was recommended to us on Tuesday that we alternate body parts during the day, which we have. The result has been very satisfying. Matt usually gets 4 injections/day so we are now giving 3 in the arm and/or stomach and 1 in the hip. The Lantus stings so it goes in the hip- more fat less stinging????

This week has seen 95% of his numbers between 95 and 130! That's a non-diabetic normal range!

So now I ask is it REALLY the site change or is it the beginning of the "honeymoon phase"?

Yes, you heard me right, my 11 yr old may be honeymooning!

Honeymoon. The pancreas has been working very hard for months to work properly. It's beta cells are being killed and it is fighting to produce insulin. Then all of a sudden insulin is coming into the body from an outside source. The pancreas says, "Ahhhhh" and it rests a bit. After some rest, maybe a few weeks maybe a few months, the pancreas starts to operate at a higher level. The drs call it the last hurray!

The picture in my mind is of the 300 Spartans. At one point they know they will die. Do they turn and run in an attempt to save a few or do they fight. They FIGHT, hard, until there is none left. This is the honeymoon for the pancreas.

The honeymoon can last for weeks or even a year. During honeymoon the requirement for injected insulin is reduced and the bg numbers are more stable.

Whatever the reason for Matt's good numbers I am thrilled about this week. I pray it continues!

Happy Mom! Happy Dad! Happy Matt!

No comments: