Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spring is Coming!

My favorite time of year is fall. I love the cooler nights and the promise of the coming holidays. I spend so much time limiting the gifts that it's a huge blast for me, after of year of restraint, to go shopping! Then of course is football. We love football! Dallas, Tennessee, Alabama, every weekend is full of watching it and every evening is full of playing it. The fall is just a wonderful time for us.

My least favorite time is the winter. It's cold and I hate being cold. It's rainy and I hate the mud tracked all over the floor. No fresh air from opened windows and no sun. Blah, blah, blah.

But then comes March! Ah, warmer days, more sun and even an open window to let out the stuffy winter air. Yes, March is a weather tumult but I always did like storms... they remind me of Dad... he liked storms too. And there are the colors of spring! Redbud and Dogwood trees, Forsythia, Rhododendron and Lilac shrubs, I hate the allergies but I love the smells of spring.

This spring the big guy and I will try something new for us, a vegetable garden. We've done small gardens before but this year we want to try something larger with corn, carrots and potatoes added to our normal fare of tomatoes and peppers. In our ever increasing effort to be self sufficient we need to know about all kinds of gardening and storage so this year will be an experiment of sorts. And I look forward to the challenge.

Maybe I'll even get a picture or two of the children in the garden. I have decided that weeding is best done by people closer to the ground!

No comments: